I make a large quantity and freeze half.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- crushed garlic (1/4 bulb)
- herbs to taste - basil?
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 lb of lean lamb mince or beef if preferred
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes
- Pure Margarine or olive/sunflower oil to mash
- Packet of plain crisps * CHECK ingredients, not all are gluten free.
- Dice and fry an onion with the crushed (or dried) garlic in a little oil.
- Add the mince and cook until brown
- Mix half pint water with some stock - CHECK the ingredients, Anthony Worral-Thompson has put his name to a range which are ok and Knorr cubes. I use 2 cubes.
- Add a tiny amount of this to mix with 1 tbsp cornflour. Mix to a paste, add a little more of the stock until dissolved and add to the pan with the rest of the stock.
- Leave to simmer for 20 mins (- I have a fantastic deep pan which I can transfer to the oven at this point!)
- Transfer to a large dish (or two smaller dishes).
Then for topping:-
- Boil 1 1/2 lbs potatoes until soft, drain and mash with Pure Sunflower Margarine or olive oil depending on preference. I usually add a little Oatly milk too.
- Spread across the surface of the mince in the dish - TIP start around the outside first.
- Add crisps for Hedgehog "quills" across the top and back at 180 C for 20 mins if it is to be eaten straight away, or freeze at this point once cool.