Friday 2 May 2014

Coconut Almond "Protein Power" Bites

Actually the title should say "Coconut, Almond and Cranberry "Protein Power" Bites" but they are optional and interchangeable with other fried fruit you might prefer. (Cranberries are really good with coconut though!)




These are NOT egg free, but I have challenged myself to try new protein powders as my daughter's dietician is concerned that her restrictive diet and difficulty swallowing meat in combination have produced some mildly concerning blood test results.

So we are "on a mission" to boost her protein intake. There are a couple of options which suit those with food allergies and sensitive stomachs. Pea Protein or Rice Protein powder. (It is important to try as pure a protein powder as possible, our dietician is an expert and recommended that brown rice protein powder to us.)

My daughter can tolerate egg, which again adds to the protein content so I revisited my Tiana coconut flour recipes and decided to alter this one. I swapped a few things around and this is what I came up with:-

Tip - I really recommend getting hold of some cup measures as it makes life a lot easier! All Tiana recipes are in cups.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup sifted Tiana flour
  • 1/2 cup of chopped almonds (I used flaked today as I was out of chopped)
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/2 cup pea protein powder
  • 2 tablespoons almond milk
  • 1/2 cup cranberries

Method
  • Nothing very scientific here, I have a Kenwood mixer and I just chucked it all....... and blitzed it!
  • BUT - and it's a big BUT, Tiana flour takes a little while to soak up the liquid and start working. Leave it for 10 minutes before the next step. Really.

You might need to add a little more almond milk, if you want "bites" it needs 
to still be relatively stiff, like these 



You could make them more moist and then let them bake as cookies - they will be less soft.

  • Bake at 180C for 15-20 minutes.

My suspicious little monkey agreed to tentatively try one.....


Let me know how your little ones get on with this recipe - and big apologies to those who cannot eat eggs....

10 comments:

  1. They look lovely. Hope the children enjoyed them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time on your blog from #LAB B. This recipe sounds interesting, though it's a whole new world for me. What is Tiana flour? We're lucky not to have any allergies in our household, so while we definitely eat healthily, buying local and seasonal products we aren't too restricted in choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great, off to google tiana flour now, I love dried cranberry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look very tasty, like a macaroon x #BlogClub

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look and sound delicious

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm these look and sound yummy :-) x #blogclub

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I bet these are a great way of introducing more protein

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look really yummy and a great snack!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look great! I was on the lookout for something like this, coconut is one of my favourite flavours at the moment, does the flour taste like coconut?

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...