Serves - 12
Free from- Milk/dairy, wheat, gluten, egg, soya, nut, peanut
350g (12oz) Dove's Farm gluten free blended plain flour
2 rounded teaspoons ground ginger
1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 level teaspoon baking powder (check ingredients)
100g (3½ oz) milk/soya free margarine
175g (6 oz) soft light brown sugar
60ml (2 fl oz) milk alternative (rice or oat milk)
4 tablespoons golden syrup
currants & glace cherries to decorate
- Preheat oven to 190ºC/375ºF/gas mark 5
- Sift the flour, ginger, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into a bowl.
- Dice the margarine and rub into the flour mixture.
- Add the sugar.
- Stir in the golden syrup and alternative milk, adding the latter a tablespoon at a
- time. Mix until a dough ball is formed. The dough should be soft but not sticky.
- Knead the dough to a smooth consistency on a floured surface, then roll out to a
- thickness of ½ cm.
- Use a cutter to cut a gingerbread family, or other shapes if you prefer.
- Decorate with currants & glace cherries.
- Grease and flour a baking tray, or use non-stick baking parchment. Place the
- gingerbread people on the tray and bake in the middle of the oven for 10
- Once cooked remove from the oven and leave on the tray for 5 minutes before
- transferring to a wire rack. Serve when cool.
Cooks tip - For those who can tolerate eggs, omit the baking powder and add an egg alongside the syrup.
Serving suggestions - Make other shapes such as hearts and stars and decorate them with icing sugar for Valentines, Christmas and other special occasions