Sunday 9 March 2014

Cherry Scones

Free from Wheat, Gluten, Dairy, Soya

This was never intended to be a Blog post - indeed, I am so used to my futile attempts at creating a "free from" scone recipe that a) rises and b) stays moist that I only gave in and tried once more at the pleas of my scone loving 12 year old. He's only been gluten free a short while (under hospital instructions) and misses them terribly.

So, there was none of that "ok, this is a Blog post so let's get organised, take a photo etc" type of planning. Which if you listen to my husband is probably why it worked.... (in a Shrödinger's Cat if you observe it you change reality kind of way.)




So. Here you go, this is how I made them:-
Ingredients
  • Juvela Harvest White mix (you could use any safe flour but rice flour on its own is very dry)
  • 2tsp Baking powder 
  • 1 egg
  • 4oz / 100g free from margarine (I used "Pure")
  • 1 pot glacĂ© cherries
  • 2oz caster sugar
  • Oat milk/rice milk/milk substitute of your choice to mix
Method
  • Mix the whole box of harvest mix flour and baking powder together with the margarine until it is all thoroughly combined. 
  • add sugar, cherries and a beaten egg
  • start adding the milk, a little at a time. I think I used about 400ml but I'm not certain... you need a dough like consistency 
  • DON'T attempt to roll out, just pat down and cut scone shapes.
  • Bake at 180C for 15 minutes - longer than I usually do, and NOT in a fan oven. (This dries baked recipes out.)
Tips
  • If you are not feeding a family of six the proverbial five thousand, I recommend halving the ingredients, you could still get away with one egg - or egg replacer which would work even better with a smaller quantity.
  • Freeze any leftovers, I suspect they would go dry very quickly
  • You can substitute the cherries for fruit of your choice - but in my (extensive) scone making experience cherries can often make a scone recipe become too moist, which was a distinct advantage in this case.

So there you are. Unexpected scone success. 
(They can't have been bad - there are none left for tomorrow or the freezer!!!)

31 comments:

  1. they look like normal and yummy looking scones to me! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love scones. Not keen on cherries but none the less your scones look very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, I need these, NOW! I've never thought of adding cherries before - great recipe missus! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh, i love cherries and i love scones! may have to make these some day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh how I love a scone! These look decidedly edible, no wonder you have none left :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm love scones, but scones with cherries! Genius

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the recipe! I love making scones and my mum is gluten intolerant so these are perfect x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love cherry scones, well done on finding a recipe your son can enjoy- top Mummy marks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. cherry scones sound delicous :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look yummy - love the addition of cherries :-) And result on finding a version for your son too!
    #recipeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooooh well done you! I recently bought a book by a lady who was a commercial cook and has been baking wheat and gluten free for over 20 years and she recommended creating your own flour mix using her recipe as a lot of the commercial ones contain things which people can react to. I shall have to give this recipe a go with the flour mix she suggests as I LOVE scones!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look lovely, well done

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look lovely and I love those bunny plates, we have some too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love cherry scones but have never made free from ones. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love scones, especially when accompanied by cream and jam! These look yummy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can by a "Soyatoo" Aerosol rice cream (which actually has no soya in) which is poretty good, but my kids are not keen!

      Delete
  16. Well done on finally mastering it! They look lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh they look good! I have forwarded your post onto a GF friend who LOVES scones :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look delicious - thank you for sharing will pass the recipe on to my brother :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh i love scones especially chese ones and cherry ones, i love them warm , freshfromt he oven with a dollop of creama nd jam on and wow you got me drooling now x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheese ones are my ultimate favourite, sadly we are dairy free! However there is a Redwood Soya and Dairy free "Cheezly" version which I have used before in gluten free rolls. It's getting easier to source alternatives now.

      Delete
  20. oh they look lovely, im not the greatest cooker or baker but i will ask my hubby to give it a go)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh these look and sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haven't had a scone so far this year. Need to remedy that ASAP :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look lovely! I absolutely love cherries so these would be perfect for me!! Will be passing this over to my other half...the baker of the family!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. ooh cherry in anything, love! Cherry scones sound like the perfect afternoon tea.

    ReplyDelete
  25. THey look delicious - I love cherries x x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ooooh, I love a good cherry scone. Will definitely be revisiting this one. Thanks so much for linking up with #recipeoftheweek. I've pinned and tweeted this post and hope to see you linking up again soon! :D x

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...