Free from - Wheat, gluten, corn, dairy, soya and plenty of other things!
Preheat the Oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4
- 175g/6oz Dove's Farm self raising flour
- 175g/6oz caster sugar
- 175ml/6 fluid oz of buttermilk replacement - buttermilk is a dense liquid with raising properties, so I substituted 4 fl oz of rice cream, 2 fl oz rice milk and an extra teaspoon of baking powder
- 40g/1.5oz Pure Sunflower margarine - melted but cooled
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 150g/5oz fresh blueberries
- Dry Bowl - Combine the flour, sugar and extra baking powder
- Wet bowl - melt margarine a little, whisk with egg, vanilla, rice cream and rice milk.
- Mix the wet bowl contents with the dry bowl.
- Fold in the blueberries until mixed but slightly lumpy.
- Spoon into muffin cases (makes 6-8) or cupcake cases (makes 10)
- Bake for 20 minutes (muffins) or 18 minutes (cupcakes)
- Turn out on a wire rack and leave to cool.
These didn't rise as perfectly as I would have liked but did rise sufficiently as you can see in the picture above. (I'm a perfectionist!) I'm going to re try with 1fl oz less of the rice milk next time I think. They taste delicious though!
Go American - we did tonight. Homemade burgers (just minced lean beef whizzed up in the food processor with a pinch of salt, pepper and chill flakes, nothing else) and form into patties. Grill or oven cook and pop into Sainsbury's delicious Free From Granary rolls. Serve with sauce and salad garnish.
Great for a quick Friday tea with the muffins to follow!