They were very successful - the only problem was that the twins were not a little frustrated that they could not try them, click here for this is a safe recipe for them!
Makes 6-8 large muffins, or 9-10 cupcake sized muffins.
- 175g/6oz plain flour (I used Dove's Farm)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 175g/6oz golden caster sugar
- 175ml/6 fl oz buttermilk
- 1 medium egg or egg replacer equivalent
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 40g/1 1/2 oz melted freefrom spread/fat of your choice
- 150g/5 oz fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4
- Line a muffin tray (see above) with paper cases
- Sift the flour into a bowl, add the baking powder (or use self raising) and sugar
- In another bowl, beat the egg into the buttermilk, or add the egg replacer mix slowly to the buttermilk and beat in
- Add vanilla extract to the "wet" bowl and pour into the dry ingredients.
- Add the melted butter and mix with a fork - or slowly in a mixer.
- Lastly gently stir in the Blueberries
Tip - toss these gently in a little flour before adding to stop them sinking in the muffins when cooking.
- Spoon into the muffin cases and bake for about 20 minutes until springy in the centre.
Leave in the trays for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.