Saturday 22 September 2012

Egg alternatives/substitutes

At the time this post was written, I was rather lax in investigating egg alternatives as we were not egg free. All that changed about six years ago and my daughter and I are now experienced #eggfree bakers! There is another post here with lots of easy alternatives. Free from baking should always be a little wetter than regular batters and mixes, it takes a bit of getting used to. It can be frustrating and the ingredients are not cheap (eg chia seeds) but the results can be really good - it's worth persevering. Free from sweet items in the supermarkets are all too often full of cheap fillers and a great deal of sugar (to hide the lack of flavour due to removal of proteins) so if you can possible bake your own, it's incredibly worthwhile.

A friend posted this chart elsewhere, it is an invaluable resource for those trying to exclude egg in cooking so I thought I would share it here.


1 comment:

  1. Really useful post! I had heard of quite a few of these (and tried them) but some I had never heard of, mainly the ones using oils. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...