Thursday 6 February 2014

Fruit Tea Loaf/Cake

I saw this recipe in the Waitrose magazine today and wondered if I could make it work for us. I could and it did!

Dairy free, Soya free, Egg free (with variation) Wheat free, Gluten Free, Corn Free, Nut free




Ingredients
  • 1 teabag
  • 200ml just boiled water
  • 1 unwaxed lemon (didn't have any, didn't bother)
  • 375g mixed dried fruit of your choice
  • 2 tsp ground mixed spice
  • 1 ripe banana
  • organ egg replacer equiv. to 2 eggs
  • 2 tbsp free from milk (optional, only if mixture not a soft "dropping" consistency)
  • 150g Doves Farm self raising flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
This is adapted - the original recipe was double quantity but replacing 4 eggs is tough, even with a banana for help! So I figured if I kept in the whole banana and additional baking powder, only replaced 2 eggs (I'm doing this for all you lovely people as we can eat eggs you know ;)  ) it might just work. It did! However I think freezing after tomorrow is wise, it's going to go hard quickly.

Method
  • Preheat oven to 170C/Fan 150C/GasMark3
  • Pour boiling water into a large bowl with the tea bag and leave for 5 mins. Squeeze and discard bag.
  • Weigh dried fruit (I used a complete mixture) and add this and the mixed spice to the tea. Either microwave or simmer on the hob until almost all the tea has been absorbed.
  • Leave to cool for approx 40mins. Meanwhile line an 8" square tin with baking paper.
  • In a blender or food processor, whizz up the egg replacer mixture and banana to make a puree. Add in the flour and baking powder. You could do this in a mixer (Kenwood/KitchenAid) but it works best in something faster.
  • Pour the egg/banana/flour mixture into the fruit and mix it all together.
  • Transfer to tin and bake for 30 minutes. 
  • Turn the cake out, peel off the baking parchment before it cools and leave to cool properly - or at least so it's not going to burn your fingers!!
Kids verdict - "Delicious!" But definitely one best served warm/fresh. it did go quite dry unfortunately.

18 comments:

  1. Ooh yum, if you leave tea overnight its even more moist, I made one recently on the blog. They are so good with a cup of tea. Good to see it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks lovely - I really like a nice fruit loaf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious and so useful to have a dairy free / gluten free alternative :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love fruit loaf in The Mad House

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love a nice tea loaf. Must give this a try

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum yum - now that is what my cup of tea has been missing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fruit loaf so it would be interesting to see what a dairy free/gluten free loaf would taste like in comparison. Nothing beats a slice of fruit loaf with a lovely hot cup of tea or even earl grey x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh that looks wonderful - be good to try making this for when my gluten free brother comes over :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a good fruit loaf... I have to check what is the difference between recipes as yours one looks so much better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Agata. To be honest it's a little dry today, I'm glad most of the leftovers from yesterday are in the freezer. It was delicious yesterday straight out of the oven. I think eggs would be better but wanted to try hard and make an egg free version. An additional banana might actually help.

      Delete
  10. We love tea loaf too :) it is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh I do love a nice tea loaf, that looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never had tealoaf, comet to think of it. It's always been coffee cake, but this is something I would love to try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I've really enjoyed surfing
    around your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing to
    your feed and I hope you write again very soon!


    Take a look at my homepage - site website link

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love a fruit loaf but never had the courage to try and make one myself

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummmm. This sounds great. I find egg and dairy free cakes are always best served warm as they seem to dry out easily but a little heat seems to bring the moisture back, especially when they contain fruit. Thanks for linking up with #recipeoftheweek. I've pinned and tweeted this post, and there’s a fresh linky live now for this week. I would love you to pop over and join in :) x

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...