Saturday, 26 February 2011

Birthday Cake / Victoria Sponge. (Dairy, Soya, and Gluten free (Wheat too).

In theory this could also be egg free but I have never found or made a large sponge cake with egg replacer myself.

I cheated on this one - twins wanting separate cakes with different decorations of their choice and I searched the supermarket shelves this time!

Both Tesco and Sainsbury's do "Free From" sponge cakes, plain Victoria and others. Check the labels obviously, they seem to vary but ours were from Sainsburys.
I used buttercream made from caster sugar and "Pure" sunflower spread for the icing, needing a little less margarine than the recipe to achieve the desired consistency.

TIP: I learned recently to have a palette knife and cup of boiling water handy to smooth over the buttercream perfectly. I just wish someone had told me a long time ago!



Ingredients

1 ready made Victoria Sponge
(Contains:-Sugar, potato starch, disodium diphosphate, sodium bicarbonate, salt, sodium carboxymethylcellulose, guar gum, calcium carbonate, maize starch, natural vanilla flavour.)
Buttercream icing
175g Pure Margarine
400g sifted icing sugar, beaten together with 1 tsp vanilla extract.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News.
    Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
    I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!

    Appreciate it

    Feel free to visit my blog :: How to get free riot points

    ReplyDelete
  2. Admiring the dedication you put into your website
    and detailed information you offer. It's nice to come across a blog
    every once in a while that isn't the same outdated rehashed information. Fantastic read!
    I've saved your site and I'm including your RSS feeds to my Google account.



    my web page - Ketone Burn DIet

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...